I’ve been an entrepreneur for more that 15 years. I’ve also interviewed tons of entrepreneurs on my podcast, Entrepreneur’s Enigma. From all this I can tell you it can be a fulfilling and rewarding journey. But you have to realize that, as with any job, there are pros and cons to consider before taking the plunge. Here, we explore the different aspects of being an entrepreneur to help you make the right decision for your career and lifestyle.
Pros of Being an Entrepreneur
Being an entrepreneur has many benefits, both professionally and personally. Here are some of the main advantages of becoming an entrepreneur:
- You have the opportunity to be creative with your ideas and become your own boss.
- There’s potential for unlimited earning potential as a business owner.
- You have the freedom to design your own business hours and lifestyle.
- You’re able to follow your passions and make your own decisions.
- You can take off when the family needs you and work when everyone is asleep. (That can be a con too)
All these can make working for yourself a great experience.
Cons of Being an Entrepreneur
Of course, there are downsides to being an entrepreneur. Here are some of the potential cons you should be aware of:
- You have to be very organized and have a strong sense of time management. Or learn how to be in your own way. Often times this results in lots of trial and error until you nail it down. 15 years into Goldstein Media, I’m still working on this.
- You’re responsible for the success and failure of your business. “The Buck Stops With You!” Remember that there will be times when you feel like your failing, just keep going.
- You won’t receive the same security that comes with a job at a traditional workplace. And it can be a real kick in the pants sometimes.
- It can be very challenging to secure the necessary financing and investments. I know this to be all to real. Most banks won’t fund an entrepreneurial journey. Sometimes you have to be creative with how you start. There is nothing wrong with a side hustle.
While these cons don’t mean being an entrepreneur isn’t right for you, it is important to recognize that there are certain potential downsides you should factor in when making your decision.
The Bottom Line
Becoming an entrepreneur can be an amazing experience and an great opportunity, but it’s important to be aware of all the pros and cons that come along with it. Knowing what to expect and being prepared can help ensure that you’re making the right decision for your career and lifestyle.
Best of luck! I’m definitely cheering for you!
- Google Adds AI Google Workspace
This is a big deal and will save lots of people quite a bit of money on tools.
- Microsoft just laid off one of its responsible AI teams
What could go wrong? Ugh!
- Grammarly adding ChatGPT-like AI to create text in your writing style, outlines, and more
Kind of make sense, it's already checking your grammar for you. Why not?
- Bing is gaining market share due to Bing/ChatGPT integration
They still have a way to go to catch Google. Have you tried it? I have. It's pretty cool. Not sure if it's going to get me to use Bing anymore than I do now, which isn't that much.
- Apple Classical is a thing!
I have to admit, I wish it was coming to Android at the same time, but the idea of having a dedicated place to listen to Classical makes sense. Are you going to try it?
- Twitter’s Planning to Extend Long-Form Tweets to 10k Characters
At that point get a blog!
- TikTok Bans Inch Closer in the US and EU
With more countries blocking or restricting the app, maybe it's not the time to figure out a business case for the app. Just saying.
- Reddit Announces the Shutdown of ‘Reddit Talks’ its Audio Social Element
Audio is a tough nut to crack. Especially when it's not open and syndicatable (cough... cough... like podcasts).
- How ChatGPT can help with local SEO
Interesting uses for the AI chat bot.
- Do personas REALLY matter in content marketing?
I think they're helpful! What do you think?
- TikTok Launches ‘Series’ Which Enables Creators to Charge for Exclusive Content
This could be good a feature so long as TikTok stays in the US and the EU.
- What the Silicon Valley Bank meltdown means for startup leaders
Being part of a startup (see my latest news on social) and helping startups with marketing, I've been watching this dumpster fire as it turns into a possible inferno.
- More People Listening To Podcasts
I suspected these findings, but now they are official.
Find Of The Week
I'm a big fan of having my RSS feeds in one place. Feedly does this for me. Feedly not only keeps my RSS reading organized it has... you guessed it... AI to help me curate more news and reading on topics that interest me. I've been a Feedly supporter for so long and can't live with out it. I keep trying other readers and keep coming back to Feedly. Check it out!
Agorapulse is a sponsor for the newsletter. But I'm not just shilling for them. Their platform is the best I've used in the 15+ years I've been in digital marketing. It's worth checking out!
Powerful ideas in 15 minutes
Join now and start upleveling your small talk game.
Get access to over 5,000 book titles alongside 20 million other readers.
Save 25% on a Premium Subscription
Quote That I Love
8AM is a simple daily email that delivers ONE story, idea, or gem of advice to your inbox every morning at 8AM (duh!). 7 Days a Week. No junk ever.
The Latest From The Entrepreneur's Enigma Podcast
As always stay curious!